Planning Applications


Certificat d’Urbanisme (CU)

If you own (or are buying) a plot of land and wish to build upon it, the first stage is to apply for a 'certificat d’Urbanisme'. This equates roughly to outline planning permission in the UK.

The principle here is to obtain approval to use land for construction (whether for houses, factories, shops, etc). If you are buying land with the intention of building on it, your Notaire will normally ensure the purchase contract includes a clause allowing you to withdraw from the purchase if a CU is not granted. If you have already bought land and have no such certificate, we can deal with the application for you.

Similarly, if you have bought land with existing buildings - a barn perhaps - and wish to ensure that you have outline permission to convert the barn to living accommodation, we can handle this on your behalf.

Permis de Construire (PC)

Within this category there are several types of application for detailed planning consent - new build, conversion, renovation, etc. Other application formats cover building a swimming pool, erecting a greenhouse or a wind-generator.

Because the requirements and accompanying documentation needed for each application vary, we will deal with the appropriate paperwork for you, ensuring the minimum of delay before you can begin your project.

Déclaration Préalable (DP)

Minor alterations to a property's exterior appearance, or small extensions, can often be dealt with under a simplified application called a 'déclaration préalable'. Things like fitting Velux windows, creating new door & window openings, erecting a small garden shed, etc., all fall under this heading. We can prepare the dossier for you, again ensuring the minimum of delay.

Etude de sol

For properties not connected to mains drainage, a private system is required. Planning applications now require details of all existing or proposed private systems (septic tanks, etc.) to be submitted before permission can be granted. As part of our planning application service we can arrange a soil test and certificate of conformity to be carried out on your behalf by a local expert.

Thermal Regulations (RT2012)

Since 2013 many building projects now require conformity with thermal insulation regulations, known in France as « RT2012 ». We can ensure your project includes an appropriate level of insulation and that the application contains all the necessary reports.

Please feel free to contact us to discuss your project.
Pin It


Although we are based in Brittany, we cover the whole of France - so whether your project is in Brittany or Normandy in the north, the uplands of the Massif Central, the wine growing areas of Bordeaux, or the lavender fields of Provence, we have it covered.

We deal with any size & type of project.

home sidebar

Come and Meet Us!

Verity-talking-at-show-bor2 Several times a year we exhibit at the UK’s leading venues (Olympia Manchester Central, NEC, etc), holding seminars on French planning laws and advising clients on a range of subjects affecting their property and business investments in France. Why not drop in for a coffee and a chat!

standLet us know if you’d like to meet at a venue closest to you, and we’ll send you free or heavily discounted tickets.

Details of our next appearance can be found HERE


Tel: +33 (0)2 96 36 56 16.       Terms and Conditions   ::   Privacy Policy   ::   Disclaimer   ::   Site Built & Managed by Knowledge Generation ::